Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DISMAYED OVER THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL GAMES by: Owen S. Bayog


The Philippine National Games (PNG) kicked off last May 22 at the New Government Center in Bacolod City. A renewed cooperation of the Philippine Olympic Committee and the Philippine Sports Commission.  The games immediately commenced and the playing venues were hosted by Bacolod, Bago, Talisay and Silay City.

A photo contest that is open to all photographers was also launched in order to gather people to participate and cover the games - but lately today I am dismayed on how can I get to check on games schedules as it was only available at the Media Center (Grand Regal Hotel) - eager to get the schedules and where the games are played I went to the hotel and check if I could get the schedules and the basic information such as the venue, time and what sport is ongoing.

I was expecting to see a daily schedule posted maybe in a manila paper or even just be written in a black board - none of these welcomed me at the Media Center.  I was told by the people in charge that they have a 47 page schedule and it was impossible for them to sort things out.

My sentiment is plain and simple - the PSC and POC wanted this event to be covered, drive as much people to enjoy the games - in short have it publicized. I noticed that the preparation for the games came short when I saw posters and tarpaulins being hanged 2 days before the event.  If I choose to cover a sport - I will have to go to the Media Center to check the schedule - borrow the 47 page folder and scan it for myself.

The schedules could have been made earlier - for the media, a day to day view of the schedule of games, time and venue should be known - I am not so sure about how the members of the National Media is dealing with this - do they have the schedules already?  How about the locals? If I see my self complaining and nobody from the nationals are having the same dilemma that I have, then there must be something wrong.

 I was told that the Media Center depend on what the National Office sends out and they find it hard to post these schedules or even have it sent by email to media entities - how could we exactly know what event to cover and what time do the games start?

A national event such as this failed to extend the basic information that people may need to get to the venue - for the media - how could we be expected to cover if we do not have the idea on the schedules?  The games are played in 4 cities in the province - it is hard to play a guessing game or stay in a venue and wait if there will be games indeed.#osb
    



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like another case of provincial journalists being treated like second class citizens.

There's this thing called the e-mail and they can try it. It's wonderful.

Owen Segovia Bayog said...

That is true - I find it impossible that a tournament as big as this but could not get to post a schedule of the games or even send it to the media - - -