Showing posts with label Bacolod City. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Bacolod City. Show all posts

Sunday, September 25, 2011

CERES UNDERCHARGING FARE SAYS UNDOC By: Owen S. Bayog


Transport Center – United Negros Drivers and Operators Center (UNDOC) says Ceres is undercharging fare and is killing small transport operators. Secretary General Jessie Ortega says they are calling for the public not to patronize Ceres as it gently takes away the food on the table for drivers and small operators plying the North bound route. 

Undoc calls on the passengers of Talisay, Silay and Victorias not to patronize Ceres Liner so as small operators and drivers may survive.  Orgtega also told NDB that this is also due to the move of the City Government, establishing terminals in the guise of reducing the number of vehicles so as not to cause traffic congestion in the City but favors a monopoly in the industry.

“How could drivers and small operators of jeepneys and mini-buses compete with the giant Ceres Liner who can afford to lower down fare and could still go on with their operations”, Ortega added.  The City Officials could not pressure the said company and allow these small players to get their share of the passengers and income to survive economically, says Ortega.

Last week a consumer’s alliance group also met and came with position exposing the interests behind the North Terminal and called the said move of the City Government as “Lopsided Development”.  “Development should serve the interest and benefits of the people, otherwise, such development is lopsided. We have witnessed many times how oppressive development can be if the welfare of the majority is disregarded”, says Maria Elena Lazarte of Consumers Alliance of Negros (CANE).

“The government, where authority is supposedly entrusted by the people, should promote and uphold the welfare of its broad constituents. Thus, the policies and resolutions it passes must be expressive of the desires and aspirations of the people it promised to serve”, Lazarte concluded.#osb 

Thursday, September 8, 2011

MASSKARA 2011 EXPECTED TO DRAW MORE TOURISTS By: Owen S. Bayog


[Owen Segovia Bayog photo]


The MassKara Festival has not failed to draw tourists to come to the City of Bacolod since 2004.  Every year it is observed that it is increasing due to the Festival and other things that the City offers, according to Bacolod City Tourism Officer Imogene Kana-an.  Summer time also draw-in tourists as seminars, conventions and national gatherings are held in the City.

The street dance competition that in October is much awaited since groups will be the one to compose their music.  There are various festival areas to choose from the Plaza, Lacson Tourism Strip and at the New Government Center.  MassKara 2011 also enjoins the people not only for the merry making but being part of the history of the City.  Business establishments up to the street vendors enjoy the sales as tourists as well as the local roam the City streets during the festival.

This years’ MassKara Festival will be the time to showcase the City – the world renowned festival and was observed to be a peaceful gathering of people who celebrates the good life in the City.  The increasing population of Call Centers in Bacolod has also pulled up the tourist influx as investors come in first as tourists and when they have tested the amenities of the City – the Local Government and business environment, they come back and invest, said Kana-an.

The schedule of the festivity had been initially released and more events keep filling up and much more is in store for the people.  Tourism in the City continues to grow as local businesses thrive in a livable and peaceful environment brought about by the present leadership under Mayor Evelio R. Leonardia, Kana-an ended.#osb

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

WATSONS SM CITY BACOLOD READY TO SERVE YOU By: Owen S. Bayog


Lou Rabina of Watsons Philippines Manila assists an early shopper
on the products that the store offers.


Lots of items to choose from




Images taken early this morning on a privilege shopping for members of the media
on the opening of the newly renovated Watson Store at Sm City Bacolod. 

Monday, July 25, 2011

THE PEOPLE'S SONA By: Owen S. Bayog

PNOY AND GMA: JUST THE SAME – BAYAN
 By: Owen S. Bayog

Bagong Alyansang Makabayan-Negros (BAYAN-NEGROS) held a “People’s State of the Nation Address” along Araneta Street yesterday afternoon to slam the present Aquino administration.  Militants gathered and braved the rain showers for the protest action which was participated by various sectoral organizations and present the “People’s Agenda” and call on to the people to push for the legitimate issues such as Joblessness, Land and Rights.


Ronald Ian Evidente of Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) slams the Aquino administration for the electoral promises of President Aquino during his campaign to alleviate the condition of the workers and the people.  Evidente pointed out that instead of national legislation for the P125 wage increase – the workers got P12 raise under the present government.


The ever increasing prices of Oil and other commodities is felt and it is the people who are suffering due to the inaction of the present Government, Evidente added.




Sectoral Organizations presented their respective issues and gave the present administration of Aquino a failing grade.  Militant flashed placards which spelled “FAILURE” and burnt down an effigy of President Aquino and the United States of America symbolizing Aquino being subservient to foreign rule.



Rev. Fr. Romeo Tagud, Secretary General of the Promotion of Church People’s Response (PCPR) likened the consequence of Aquino to an ordinary student who have failing grades – “The people have spoken and united in saying that President Benigno Aqunio III failed to the serve the interest of the Filipino people”, If President Aquino continues to do so – he will be kicked out from power”, Tagud said.osb

Monday, May 9, 2011

THE HEAT IS ON by:Owen S. Bayog


The debate continues as Congress opens its session May 9 - a Nationally coordinated Jerico March by the church was launched to affirm their stand for the non-passage of the Reproductive Health Bill.


A caravan for life will be launched by the Citizen's Alliance for the Protection of Human Life (CAPHL) May 10, 2011.  Church people along with Pro-life groups in the City will join the said caravan and will end at the San Sebastian Cathedral for a mass.


Pro-life groups and the church calls the Reproductive Health Bill as a "Death Bill".


Around 20,000 people gathered at the Bacolod Public Plaza last February 22 to call for the junking on the said death bill.





Images were taken during the Citizen's Alliance for the Protection of Human Life (CAPHL) rally at the Bacolod Public Plaza last Feb. 22, 2011.




Thursday, January 20, 2011

FEAST OF ST. SEBASTIAN :Owen S. Bayog


FEAST OF ST. SEBASTIAN - A religious procession started from the 
San Sebastian Cathedral this afternoon to the main streets of Bacolod City.